Here is a breakdown of the Sensex companies. Over the last decade, while sectoral weight-age has remained largely similar, the constituent companies have constantly changed.
Notable Facts: Updated on 16 October 2019
- Financial Services contributes 43.45% to the overall weight-age.
- Top 5 Stocks – HDFC Bank, Reliance, HDFC, Infosys and ICICI Bank contribute 47.04% in the weightage
- Only 1 Pharma company – Sun Pharma has got the place in the Sensex Companies.
- Cigarettes still have a dominant weight-age ~6% in the pie.
- No modern-day e-commerce businesses find a place in the Sensex Companies. Compare this with the U.S. where Facebook, Amazon, e-Bay, and Yahoo are all part of the NASDAQ 100.
- The breakup hardly showcases India as a developing economy. Construction (Engineering) contribute 4.39%.
- 8 out of the 9 financial services companies are private sector banks.
Full List of Sensex Companies
|Automobile||Bajaj Auto Ltd||1.02%|
|Hero MotoCorp Ltd||0.86%|
|Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd||1.39%|
|Maruti Suzuki India Ltd||2.29%|
|Tata Motors Ltd||0.60%|
|Consumer Goods||Asian Paints Ltd||2.05%|
|Hindustan Unilever Ltd||3.64%|
|Oil & Natural Gas Corp Ltd||1.40%|
|Power Grid Corp of India Ltd||1.13%|
|Reliance Industries Ltd||11.53%|
|Engineering||Larsen & Toubro Ltd||4.39%|
|Financial Services||Axis Bank Ltd||3.17%|
|Bajaj Finance Ltd||2.33%|
|HDFC Bank Ltd||12.31%|
|ICICI Bank Ltd||7.00%|
|IndusInd Bank Ltd||1.82%|
|Kotak Mahindra Bank Ltd||5.35%|
|State Bank of India||2.48%|
|Yes Bank Ltd||0.21%|
|Information Technology||HCL Technologies Ltd||1.49%|
|Tech Mahindra Ltd||1.12%|
|Metals & Mining||Tata Steel Ltd||0.69%|
|Pharma||Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd||1.10%|
|Telecom||Bharti Airtel Ltd||1.89%|